Early life… Where did you grow up? How did it inspire your music?
I grew up in the city of Monrovia, which is a small suburban town in Southern California. There really wasn’t much to do out there – so at a young age I became obsessed with discovering new music.
Every single weekend I would be at the record store buying new albums of artists I’d hear about. It was such an exciting world to me & I was literally trying to get “my fix” from each new album.
Genre didn’t matter… as long as it was hype. I ended up amassing a collection of over 500 albums… before I even picked up my first instrument. I was a big fan of artists & bands like NWA, koRn and everything in between.
Eventually I went on to study “Jazz Guitar” in college in hopes of becoming a professional musician. While in college, I also started working in the LA nightlife scene. After a few years of doing that, I became friends with a lot of DJs and producers who then inspired me to start DJ’ing and producing my own music. Once I made my first beat on Ableton there was no going back.
Whats your most recent single about? Inspiration behind it? How many songs? Any features? If not explain why.
Currently I’m a full time DJ / Producer. As a DJ, it’s my job to stay on top of whatever is “trending” and incorporate that into my sets.
I noticed the “Bing Bong” meme went super mega viral recently… and I thought it’d be fun to produce a hard trap beat with “Bing Bong” as the hook. That was literally my inspiration. Remix a meme and make it super hype, lol. I am happy to report that the response from the dance floor has been super hype as well. At the end of the day people go out to have fun. Songs don’t have to be serious all the time.
Thoughts on staying independent vs signing a major label deal?
I think with the rise of social media and the “content creator musician” – we’re entering such a special time where if artists play their cards right… they really can have all the power & leverage before a label even approaches them.
In 2022 you literally have the same information at your fingers tips that the labels have. They may have a few more connections or a more refined infrastructure for things like press releases & Spotify playlists… but at the end of the day you pay a “premium” for that once you have to pay back your glorified loan aka the label “advance”.
Why not put the work in and keep everything you earn?
– Whats in store? Future plans?
I just want to keep putting out fun content. There is so much negativity and toxicity getting attention in the world right now… I just want anyone’s experience with me to be light & fun. As far as upcoming shows – I will definitely be playing a lot more shows at my residencies in Los Angeles, Santa Monica & a handful of other cities to be announced soon.
Social Media Links:
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/djcj/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/djcjofficial
TikTok – https://www.tiktok.com/@djcjofficial
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/DJCJofficial/
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/djcjofficial
Soundcloud – https://soundcloud.com/djcj
– Over 3 million+ streams across all platforms (Soundcloud, YouTube, Spotify, etc)
– Made first TV Appearance as the DJ for one of Netlflix’s most watched shows – “Selling Sunset” [Season 4, Episode 5] – November 2021
– DJ’d the Grammy Recording Academy & Sony Music’s Charity Event – October 2021
– DJ’d the Official Maxim Halloween Party – October 2021
– Performed with artists such as Blueface, Chris Brown, G-Eazy, Post Malone, NAS, Madeintko, RUSS & more…
– Performed at Venues such as ASL (Shanghai), Bang Bang (Singapore), Bootsy Bellows (Hollywood), Hyde Bellagio (Las Vegas), Liquid Pool Lounge (Las Vegas), Maxim Hot 100 Party (Los Angeles), OMNIA Nightclub (San Diego), PRYSM Nightclub (Chicago), The Playboy Mansion (Los Angeles), The Highlight Room (Hollywood) & more…